Court Contact and Location Information:
DOC Prisoner Locator
Note: Use this link to locate inmates in the Massachusetts State Prison system and in other jurisdictions, including federal penitentiaries. It cannot be used, however, to locate inmates in houses of corrections, county jails, or pre-release centers. http://www.vinelink.com/offender/searchNew.jsp
Other Legal Organizations:
Legal Services: This is a partial list of other organizations that will give you assistance in non-criminal legal matters that you may have. For a more comprehensive list, click on the community resources link above.
- Greater Boston Legal Services provides free civil (non-criminal) legal assistance to low-income people in Boston and thirty-one additional cities and towns. The help ranges from legal advice to full case representation, depending on client need.
- Neighborhood Legal Services is a free provider of civil legal assistance for low income residents of Essex County, Massachusetts. Part of a larger national network of legal service providers, NLS helps the area’s low income residents with legal problems involving access to housing, access to public assistance, employment rights, discrimination, elder law, immigration, domestic violence and family law, and economic development of the area’s low income communities.
- Prisoners’ Legal Services was established in 1972 to provide civil legal services to people in Massachusetts prisons and jails. The office focuses on four issues: health and mental health care, guard-on-prisoner violence, physical conditions of confinement, and segregation and isolation. Prisoners’ Legal Services addresses these problems through admistrative advocacy, legislative advocacy, and litigaiton. The office does not provide criminal defense services.
- Prisoners’ Rights Northeastern Law Clinic. Law students represent inmates at parole & disciplinary hearings.
- Lawyer Referral Service , a public service of the Boston Bar since 1951. It is the only ABA approved referral service in Massachusetts, offers reduced fee attorneys to those who qualify, and guarantees that an initial 1/2 hour consultation with an attorney will be $25 or less.