Our attorneys are appointed by the Juvenile Court or the Probate and Family Court to represent children and indigent parents in child welfare matters, including care and protection proceedings (C&P’s), children requiring assistance cases (CRA’s), actions to terminate parental rights, guardianships, and any other child custody proceeding where the Department of Children and Families (DCF) is a party or where the court is considering granting custody to DCF.
If you have questions about your case, you should first speak with your attorney. If you do not know who has been appointed to represent you, contact the clerk’s office in the court where your case is being heard. For a list of Juvenile Courts by county, click here. For a list of Probate and Family Courts by county, click here.
If you are unhappy with your legal representation and want to file a formal complaint, you may submit a Client Complaint Form to our administrative office. One of our administrative staff members will contact you to discuss your complaint.
Resources for Parents
- Juvenile Court Handbook for Parents involved in Care and Protection Proceedings.
- Juvenile Court Handbook for Parents, Legal Guardians and Custodians in Child Requiring Assistance (CRA) Cases.
- “You Are Not Alone” – A guide developed by Parents Helping Parents for parents whose children are in DCF foster care.
Resources for Youth
- Child Requiring Assistance – Informational guide developed by ACS.
- DCF Adolescent Services – Maureen Messeder, DCF Adolescent Services (617) 748-2231
- Foster Care to Success – America’s college fund for foster youth.
- Foster Child Grant Program – A scholarship program for DCF involved youth.
- Job Corps – Information for Young Adults 16+
- Please visit our Edlaw Project for helpful resources regarding education rights and services.
- Please visit our Social Services/Social Work page for additional resources.
- ACS Adolescent Consultation Services
- Children’s Law Center
- Department of Children and Families
- Department of Education
- Department of Mental Health
- Department of Transitional Assistance
- Department of Youth Services
- Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless
- Massachusetts Legal Help
- Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission
- Parents Helping Parents
Image Credit: freedigitalphotos.net